WWE News Roundup: Top name to bring back old gimmick? Legend criticizes current feud; Roman Reigns’ new record (January 16, 2022)

Spread the love

We’re back with the latest edition of WWE News Roundup.

Not too long ago, John Cena spoke about possibly bringing back his old gimmick whenever he returns to the company next. A wrestling legend had some criticism for a current SmackDown storyline.

Meanwhile, Roman Reigns created a significant record due to his dominant run in WWE. Mickie James has spoken about how the deal for her upcoming Royal Rumble appearance came together.

Additionally, we have details regarding what went down between Reigns and Seth Rollins following the latest episode of SmackDown.

With that in mind, let’s take a closer look at these news stories.


#5. John Cena comments on the possible return of his “Doctor of Thuganomics” WWE character

 

While most fans associate John Cena with the pure babyface character that made him famous over time, his Doctor of Thuganomics gimmick has popped up across recent WWE history.

At WrestleMania 35 in 2019, he appeared as the rapping rebel to confront Elias. Cena reprised this role at The Show of Shows in 2020 as well.

Speaking on the Pardon My Take podcast, the 16-time world champion seemed quite open to the potential comeback of his rapping gimmick:

“Over the years, you’ve actually seen more of the good [version of] ‘Doctor of Thuganomics’ than over the past 10 years. The appearance in the Firefly Funhouse match, the appearance at WrestleMania with Elias. It’s almost like that character has taken on a sense of nostalgia itself. So when it shows up, it’s a thing that gets people excited. So, never say never,” said John Cena.

Although a future appearance from the Doctor of Thuganomics isn’t out of the question, it remains to be seen when exactly Cena will return to the company.

 

The veteran did say on The Ellen Show that despite his uncertainty over making it to WrestleMania 38, he isn’t ‘done with WWE by a long shot.’

#4. Dutch Mantell questions when Naomi and Sonya Deville’s storyline will conclude in WWE

 

 

Sonya Deville and Naomi have been feuding for months in WWE at this stage. However, a singles match between both women is yet to occur.

The on-screen reason behind this is that Deville — an on-screen official — has enough power to avoid a showdown against the two-time SmackDown Women’s Champion. Instead, she has thrown numerous obstacles in Naomi’s path to delay the inevitable.

Dutch Mantell isn’t a fan of the company dragging this feud on SmackDown. Speaking on Sportskeeda Wrestling’s Smack Talk, he questioned when fans would witness the payoff to Deville undermining Naomi’s run as a competitor:

“When are they going to pull the trigger on this? How long has this been on now? We b**ch about this every week but they [WWE] continue to do it. They’re going to take it all the way to SummerSlam. They’re going to try to get there, and I guess they can get there because they’ve got (several months) out of it so far, right? And you know it’s there. All they got to do is touch it. Now what are they going to do? I have no idea,” said Dutch Mantell.

While the two women have never gone one-on-one against each other as part of their current feud, they fought in five singles matches back in 2018.


Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *